Chopped Chicken Shawarma Salad
Fresh chopped Mediterranean salad bursting with flavorful vegetables, green herbs and Middle Eastern street cart-style spiced grilled chicken.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 45
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
SHAWARMA SPICE RUB:
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
LEMON TAHINI DRESSING:
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped or grated
- 1 tablespoon tahini paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Shawarma Spice Blend
QUICK PICKLED RED ONION
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
ASSEMBLE THE SALAD
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound)
- Kosher salt
- 2 cups mixed color cherry/grape tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 4 Persian cucumbers, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup each picked fresh cilantro, Italian parsley, mint and/or dill
- 2 cups each torn romaine lettuce and arugula
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- [1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper or 1/2 teaspoon crushed red chili]
- 1/4 cup thick plain yogurt, such as labneh or Greek
- Warm pita bread, sliced into quarters
- Make the spice mix: Put the ingredients for the spice rub in a jar. Cover and shake well to mix.
- Make the dressing: Whisk together all ingredients in a small bowl. For a creamier, emulsified dressing blend in a mini food processor or blender.
- Make the pickled onion: Put 1/2 teaspoon salt and the sugar in a medium bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice and whisk to dissolve. Add the red onion in the bowl and toss together. Set aside or cover and refrigerate up to 1 day ahead.
- Sprinkle the chicken evenly with 1 teaspoon salt and 2 tablespoons of the Shawarma spice rub. Set aside while preparing the vegetables for the salad, or cover and refrigerate up to 1 day ahead.
- Put the tomatoes, cucumbers, and green onions in a large salad bowl. Drain the red onion and add to the bowl.
- Pile the herbs together on a cutting board and finely chop. Add the herbs to the bowl, along with the romaine, arugula, feta, Aleppo chili pepper and a pinch of salt.
- Cook the chicken on a medium-hot outdoor grill until firm and no longer pink, about 6 minutes per side. Or cook indoors under a hot, preheated broiler with the oven rack 6 inches from the heat source, about 6 minutes per side. Let the chicken rest 10 minutes, then slice into bite-sized chunks.
- Add the chicken to the bowl. Drizzle about half the dressing over and toss to mix. Taste for seasoning, adding more dressing, salt, pepper or chili if you like.
- Spread a tablespoon of yogurt on each serving bowl or plate. Serve the salad over the yogurt with the pita on the side.
To make this a vegetarian salad, omit the chicken and use chickpeas instead – try the crunchy roasted chickpeas in this recipe, using 2 teaspoons of the Shawarma rub.
The spice rub recipe makes a little more than you’ll need to make the salad. Store in a covered jar.
Keywords: Salad, middle eastern, chicken, shawarma, pickled red onions, tomatoes, Persian cucumbers, feta cheese, tahini, lettuce, pita bread