Roasted Root Vegetable Salad with Chimichurri
Beautiful warm root vegetable salad bursting with flavor — a mixture of roasted carrots, winter squash, potatoes, and greens in a zesty fresh chimichurri sauce.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 45
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: Bake + Chop
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
- 1 green onion, white and light green sections, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 small fresh red chili, finely chopped or 1/2– 1 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup (20 g) Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup (20 g) fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups (280 g) peeled butternut squash, sliced into 1 1/2″ pieces
- 1 (226 g) sweet potato, sliced into 1 1/2″ pieces
- 1 bunch baby carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch sticks
- 2 yellow potatoes (such as Yukon Gold) , sliced into 1 1/2″ pieces
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup radicchio leaves, torn into pieces
MAKE CHIMICHURRI SAUCE
- Put the green onion, garlic, chili and 1 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Pour the vinegar over and let sit 10 minutes.
- Add the parsley and cilantro to the bowl and stir. Pour over the olive oil and stir again to blend.
MAKE THE SALAD
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine the squash, sweet potato, carrots, and yellow potato on a large rimmed baking sheet. Pour the oil over and add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Toss everything together and roast 20 minutes.
- Add the red onion to the vegetables and stir the mixture around. Roast an additional 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and golden brown.
- Put the vegetables in a large serving bowl along with the spinach and radicchio. Pour about half the sauce over and toss together. Serve with additional sauce on the side.
- To add variety to the salad, cut the vegetables into different bite-sized shapes — half-moons, cubes, and stubby matchsticks.
- The roasted vegetables and sauce keep well made a few days in advance. Briefly warm the vegetables before tossing with the greens and chimichurri.
- This salad makes a perfect holiday side dish or a vegetarian main dish served over cooked whole grains. Make a double batch of the chimichurri to serve over grilled steak, chicken, or fish.
- Crumbled soft cheese like feta, goat or blue
- Sliced raw or roasted cherry tomatoes
- Toasted pecans or sliced almonds
- Tender sprigs of fresh parsley and cilantro
Keywords: chimichurri, carrots, roasted vegetables, winter squash, potatoes, salad, healthy, onions, cilantro, olive oil, garlic, red wine vinegar, chili, butternut squash,