Winter Salad with Fennel and Pomegranate
A pretty winter salad with fresh shaved fennel, pomegranate seeds and celery root with a creamy lemon dressing.
- Prep Time: 25
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 50
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: Chop
- Cuisine: Italian
FOR THE SALAD
- 1 bunch heart of romaine leaves, washed, dried, and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups (80 g) mixed baby greens or spinach
- 1 small head radicchio, sliced into ribbons
- 1 small celery root, about 1 pound, peeled and cut into matchsticks*
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, stems trimmed and feathery fronds reserved for garnish
- 1/2 cup (82 g) fresh pomegranate seeds
LEMON ANCHOVY DRESSING:
- Grated zest and juice from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon white wine or rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt plus more to taste
- 1 fat garlic clove, grated on a microplane or finely chopped
- 1 anchovy fillet, rinsed and finely chopped
- ¼ cup (60 g) crème fraiche
- ¼ cup (60 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- To make the dressing, put the lemon zest, juice, vinegar, salt, garlic and anchovy in a blender or mini food processor, or mix together in a small bowl.
- Add crème fraiche and olive oil and blend/process until smooth and creamy or whisk by hand. Taste for seasoning and add more salt if needed.
- Put the romaine, baby greens, radicchio, celery root and red onion in a large salad bowl.
- Peel the base of the fennel bulb with a vegetable peeler to remove the tougher outer layer. Slice the fennel very thinly using a sharp knife or shave on a mandoline. Add to the salad bowl.
- Pour half the dressing over the salad and toss gently.
- Transfer the salad to a serving plate and arrange the reserved radicchio leaves around the salad. Drizzle with additional dressing and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds. Garnish with fennel fronds.
- To prep celery root, use a large sharp knife to slice off the top and root end; stand the celery root with one cut side down and remove the outer skin with the knife by slicing all around perpendicular to the cutting board. Squeeze a little lemon juice over the celery root to keep it from going brown, then slice it very thinly. Stack the slices and slice to make matchsticks.
- Try this method for seeding a pomegranate: Slice in half through the equator, then turn each half cut-side-down over a bowl; smack it sharply with the back of a wooden spoon – the seeds will fall right out into the bowl.
Keywords: Salad, winter salad, radicchio, red onion, fennel, lemon, anchovy, romaine, baby greens, celery root, pomegranate, healthy