Roasted Citrus Beet Salad with Goat Cheese
A gorgeous colorful citrus salad to make with hearty vegetables. Roasted beets, carrots, chickpeas, creamy orange-honey dressing and goat cheese make this a fresh meal in a bowl!
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 60
- Total Time: 90
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: Bake + Chop
- Cuisine: Californian
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) each fresh lemon juice, lime juice and orange juice
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) honey
- 1 tablespoon (22.5 ml) white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) crushed toasted cumin seed or ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) teaspoon Alepppo pepper or 1/2 teaspoon crushed red chili
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 golden beets, tops and tails trimmed
- 2 large carrots, 10 ounces
- 1 tablespoon (22.5 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- Flaky sea salt
- 3 oranges/tangerines – try mixed varieties like blood orange, Cara Cara and mandarins, divided into segments
- 1/2 head radicchio, shredded
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 scallions, white and green parts thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (82 g) cooked or canned chickpeas
- 3 heads Little Gem or bibb lettuce, leaves washed, dried and separated
- 1/4 pound (125 g) semi-aged goat cheese (such as Bucheron) rind trimmed if you prefer, crumbled
- 1/4 cup (25 g) chopped pistachios
- Small handful each dill and cilantro sprigs
MAKE THE DRESSING
- Whisk the citrus juices, honey, vinegar, cumin, and chili in a bowl. Slowly drizzle in the oil while whisking until emulsified. For a creamier dressing, blend everything in a high-powered blender. Taste for seasoning, adding more salt, honey, and/or acid to suit your taste. Set aside.
Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Put 2 beets in a small oven-proof skillet and add about 1/4-inch water. Cover the pan tightly with foil and roast until tender, 30 – 40 minutes. Cool, slip off the peel, and slice into wedges.
- Peel and slice the remaining beet into thin circles on a mandolin or with a sharp knife. Add to a mixing bowl.
- Shave the carrots into ribbons with a vegetable peeler and add to the bowl with the beet rounds. Add the olive oil and a pinch of salt and toss to coat. Transfer the mixture to a large rimmed baking sheet and spread out in an even layer. Roast until golden brown, 12 minutes or so, stirring around halfway through.
ASSEMBLE THE SALAD
- Combine the roasted beet wedges, beet-carrot mixture, radicchio, red onion, scallion, and chickpeas in a large bowl. Add 1/4 cup of the dressing and toss to coat.
- Arrange the lettuce on a serving platter or a bowl and top with the dressed vegetables. Sprinkle the cheese, pistachios, and herbs over the salad and gently toss. Drizzle the salad with a little more dressing and serve.
You can roast the beets and carrots one or 2 days ahead.
- Keep extra dressing in the fridge for up to a week. It may separate – just whisk before using.
- Depending on how juicy your fruit is, count on 1 or 2 lemons/limes plus 1 orange to make the dressing.
Keywords: Citrus, salad, beets, goat cheese, orange, honey, healthy, vegetarian, tangerines, radicchio, scallions, pistachios, cilantro