Recipe and Photo by Elizabeth Jordan-Flight of @jam_jar_kitchenPrint
Steak Salad with Deviled Eggs
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 60
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: Chop
- Cuisine: American
- 1–2 lb flat iron steak
- olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
For the Deviled Eggs
- 6 large eggs, hardboiled
- 2 tbsp sweet relish or chopped bread & butter pickles
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp chopped chives (or 1/2 tsp dried chives)
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
For the Salad
- 2–3 12 oz bags of lettuce (I recommend mixing 1 bag of romaine with 1 bag of mixed greens)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp champagne vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 1 tsp prepared horseradish
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp truffle oil
- 1/2 tsp honey
- salt & pepper to taste
- halved cherry tomatoes (optional)
- avocado (optional)
- grilled artichoke hearts (optional)
- Take your steak out of the fridge about 30-45 minutes before grilling to get it to room temperature. Pat it off with paper towels but don’t salt it at this time.
- While your meat is coming to room temperature make the deviled eggs.
- Take 2 of your hardboiled eggs and chop them up. Put them in a medium-size mixing bowl.
- Slice the remaining 4 eggs in half and carefully, so as not to break the eggs, scoop out the cooked yolks and add them to the mixing bowl. Then add mayonnaise, mustard, chives, relish, and salt & pepper to taste. Mix well until fully incorporated.
- Layout the 8 egg halves and carefully fill them with the yolk mixture. You can do it with a spoon or cookie scoop, or fill a plastic bag with the yolk mixture and cut an opening in one of the bottom corners. Then pipe the mixture into the eggs.
- Once the eggs have been filled, put them, in the fridge to chill while you prepare the rest of the meal.
- About 15 minutes before you plan to grill, heat your grill over medium-high to high heat until hot.
- Generously season both sides of the steak with salt, pepper, and any additional seasoning (I like Montreal Steak Seasoning). Gently place the steak on the preheated grill (*you should immediately hear a sizzle, otherwise it is not hot enough*).
- Grill for about 3-4 minutes on the first side, then flip the steak and grill for an additional 3-4 minutes. Then turn the grill heat down to medium and continue cooking until the steak reaches your desired level of doneness. For medium-rare this will be another 3-4 minutes or until the steak reaches an internal temperature of about 135-140 degrees F.
- Remove steak from the grill and place in a foil-lined pan. Allow to rest for 5-7 minutes before slicing.
- While the steak is grilling/resting, prepare the dressing. Whisk or shake together olive oil, lemon juice, horseradish, dijon mustard, honey, truffle oil, champagne vinegar, and salt and pepper until well combined.
- Toss the dressing with lettuce and serve with steak and deviled eggs. Garnish with cherry tomatoes, avocado, and/or grilled artichoke hearts as desired.
Keywords: salad, steak, deviled eggs, lemon, truffle oil, horseradish, dijon, mustard, cherry tomatoes, eggs, flat iron steak, avocado, artichoke hearts, tasty, delicious,